The Romano-Germanic Central Museum is an archaeological and historical research institution for pre-history and early history. Exploring all available sources, the institution researches the development of mankind and its actions in the natural and cultural environment across all periods from the Palaeolithic to the Middle Ages. Its research staff have adopted a multidisciplinary approach, bringing together social and natural sciences as well as restoration technology, thus gaining insights that would otherwise not be possible.
As a research museum of the Leibniz Association, the Romano-Germanic Central Museum is a scientific institution that seeks the dialog with the wider public, combining cutting-edge research and public education.
The Romano-Germanic Central Museum was established in 1852 at the behest of the Assembly of German Researchers in History and Classical Studies. In 1870, it became a public law foundation. Today, it is sponsored by the state of Rhineland-Palatinate and the city of Mainz. Its headquarters are located at the Electoral Palace of Mainz, with branch institutes in Mainz (MUFAS), Mayen (VAT& LEA) and at Monrepos Palace near Neuwied. Each institute features a public exhibition that relates to the research done on site. In 1977, the Romano-Germanic Central Museum was added to the "Blue List" and now receives funding from both the federal and state governments. In 2002, the institution joined the Leibniz Association.
The Roman-Germanic Central Museum is currently closed.
Romano-Germanic Central Museum: exhibition
Romano- Germanic Central Museum: Column
Romano- Germanic Central Museum